The House System
The school House System was introduced by Headmaster Mr W P Fuller in 1907. The first Houses were Clare, Clement, Danes, Temple. In 1938 the school had grown to nearly 500 pupils so Burleigh and Lincoln houses were added. Another growth in the school saw Exeter and Essex houses added in 1952. When the school moved to Hertfordshire the school reverted to six Houses: Clement, Dane, Temple, Burleigh, Lincoln and Exeter. Clare and Essex returned to the fold in 2005.
The name comes from Clare Market which connected Houghton Street with the Strand.
The palace of Queen Elizabeth I’s statesman William Cecil (Lord Burleigh) was sited off the Strand near what was later to become St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Grammar School.
The name derives from St Clement who was the Bishop of Rome during the first Century of the Christian era. Legend has it that the Roman Emperor Trajan ordered the execution of Clement who was thrown into the Black Sea with an anchor tied around his neck.
The name Dane or Danes comes from the Parish’s links with Canute, the King of England, Denmark and Norway, who is said to have worshipped at St Clement Danes Church after the Danish invasion of England.
Exeter House is associated with the Earl of Exeter who was son to Lord Burleigh. Upon Lord Burleigh’s death his home was named Exeter House which also gave its name to Exeter Street.
Named after the Lincoln’s Inn, one of the residences for lawyers in the Parish.
Essex is also a distinguished London family name and the Essex House is based on the Arms of the Exeter family.
The name derives from a poor knight Hugh de Paganus who, in 1118, joined eight companions to form the Knights Templar. They made a solemn vow to fight for Christ in chastity, obedience and self-denial. Their base was a site off Fleet Street called the Temple which was located close to what later became St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Grammar School.